The joy of the summer sandwich!


Some of my best summer culinary memories growing up involve sandwiches. Since I was about 7 or 8 years old, my mom has planted a vegatable garden. The exact vegatables varied from year to year except for tomatoes. Every year, we were blessed with a plethora of tomatoes...especially late August, early September. Since my mom is on the east coast and I am on the west, I no longer get to share in her annual tomato harvest. However, living in LA, I have the good fortunate of an abundance of farmer's markets. I found some great summer tomatoes and was inspired to have sandwiches for dinner. I whipped up this chicken salad recipe. It was tasty but could have used a little more heat. I would probably add some hot peppers or more cayenne pepper next time.


Spicy Chicken Salad


1/2 medium onion


3/4 cup of chopped celery


1 carrot chopped


Between 1 and 2 cups of diced (leftover) cooked chicken


1 teaspoon cumin seed


1 teaspoon chili powder


1/4 teaspoon red cayenne pepper


1/2 cup light mayo


Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste



Mix it all up and chill for at least an hour. We had it on toasted whole grain bread with lettuce and sliced tomatoes.

Comments

Popular Posts