Peppers and Eggs Stuffed Bread



In the Manayunk neighborhood of Philly, there is a little Italian bakery called Marchiano's. They make these amazing stuffed breads. My family typically gets the Pepperoni and Cheese, Cheese Steak and Broccoli and Cheese breads. In LA, I know of no equivalent to this stuffed bread and therefore I make my own. The whole cheesesteak thing seems a bit involved, so I have never made that one, but I have made ham and cheese bread (capicola and provolone to be specific) and garlic, tomatoes and cheese bread. Both turned out pretty good although the ham and cheese was a bigger hit with my party guests. Recently, I got a hankering for peppers and eggs and decided to throw that in the middle of the bread. Here's how my homemade version is done (I wouldn't even pretend to know how to replicate Marchiano's magic!)....

1 loaf of frozen Rich's Frozen Bread Dough, thawed and risen
4-5 eggs scrambled with green and/or red peppers, onions and whatever other spices you want to use (I used italian seasoning, garlic and black pepper)
About 3 or so slices of Velvetta (I had a block leftover from some cheesy rice I made)

Roll out the dough so it's about 12-14 inches long and 4-5 inches wide.
Place the cooked scrambled eggs/pepper mixture down the middle leaving about an inch around the sides (see above picture).
Place the cheese on top of the eggs.
Bring the left side of the dough in on top of the eggs and over towards the right as close as possible to the right side of the eggs without ripping a hole in the dough...bring the right side up so that it generously overlaps the left side. Gently roll the log over so that the seam is down and then pinch the top and bottom close.
Transfer to baking sheet (I sprayed with non-stick olive oil spray first) and bake at 425 degrees for about 15 -20 minutes or until the top of the bread is browned.

After taking it out of the oven, let it sit for about 5 minutes before slicing to give the cheese a chance to cool a little. Slice into about 1/2 inch to 1 inch slices and enjoy!

You can just about put anything you want in the middle of the bread...meatballs, sausage, spinach and cheese, etc. Just make sure whatever you are putting in the middle of the bread is already cooked...the bread dough cooks pretty fast....so the bread is not in the oven long enough to cook meat especially thoroughly.

Comments

Popular Posts