No weep, no fail

I had some left over lemon curd (store bought) from the cake I made for Victor's birthday, so I decided to take another stab at making a "homemade" lemon meringue. Saying this was a homemade pie is quite a stretch being that I used jarred lemon curd and a pre-made Keebler low-fat graham cracker crust...but the meringue was truly made with my own two hands.

My last attempt at lemon meringue pie was a few years ago. That pie looked great fresh out of the oven, but the meringue split and "weeped" after it cooled. So, mastering the meringue was really the goal this outing....via the wonders of Google, I found "Mama's No Weep, No Fail Lemon Meringue pie" recipe. The meringue turned out beautiful, light and airy, never split and never weeped! Given the success I had with the meringue, I will need to try Mama's full recipe for curd and crust!


No Weep, No Fail Meringue
adapted from Experienceproject.com

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 tablespoon cold water
1/2 cup boiling water
3 egg whites
6 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a small saucepan, mix cornstarch and cold water. Add the boiling water, constantly stirring until thick. Set mixture asided.
Beat egg whites until soft peaks start to form. Add cooled cornstarch mixture, beating until stiff. Add sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Add vanilla.

Gently spread meringue over lemon curd, sealing the pie completely at the edges. Bake for 15-20 minutes until meringue is browned/toasted as desired.

Comments

Popular Posts