Hmmmmm....Hummingbird cake!

Victor and I hit up the Magnolia Bakery on Beverly Blvd here in LA a few weeks ago and they had a Hummingbird cupcake. Honestly, until we walked into Magnolia, I had never heard of Hummingbird cake (not sure how I missed this?). Apparently it is a southern creation that dates all the way back to....1978 when Helen Wiser's recipe won the Favorite Cake Award at the Kentucky State Fair! At least that is what my "extensive" internet research is showing. It is a banana, pineapple and pecan cake typically served with a cream cheese frosting. Magnolia's Hummingbird cupcake was moist and full of banana and pineapple flavor. I would not describe the cake as dense, but it was not the lightest either....it was more the consistency of banana bread. Actually, it reminded me of my friend Alex's carrot cake since she adds crushed pineapple to her recipe. Next time I have some overripe bananas on hand, I am going to try my hand at making my own hummingbird cake.

Comments

Popular Posts