Homemade granola


I've mentioned my love of the breakfast foods before...I remember the first time I had granola as a kid. It was amazing! Nutty, crunchy, sweet....then I realized that one serving was only like a 1/3 cup. Portion control has always been an issue with me. I was used to eating puffy cereals like Honey Smacks, Super Sugar Crisps and Pops! where one serving was a huge bowl...so I was sad to learn that this great tasting creation called granola, while technically better for me than my puffy sugary cereals, was as caloric as it was addictive.

Sadly, the calorie count of granola has not changed in the interim years. However, I like to think I have learned some self restraint. A few short years ago, I could not have ice cream in the house without finishing it within 3 days...now, it might be in the freezer for 2 weeks without me even thinking about it! Why? Self restraint. Anyway, back to the granola.....In the June 2010 issue of Bon Appetit magazine, there was a recipe for homemade granola. While it did not cluster up like some store bought granolas (not a problem, just not what I expected), it had a wonderful fresh taste....and to keep my portions on par, I kept my handy 1/3 cup measuring cup nearby....

Everyday Granola from the June 2010 issues of Bon Appetite (by Molly Wizenberg, Orangette)

3 cups of old fashioned oats
1 cup coarsly chopped pecans
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (I used sweetened since that was all I had on hand and it was fine)
3 tablespoons (packed) brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt (I used sea salt)
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
1 cup of assorted dried fruits (I used Trader Joe's Golden Berry Blend which has golden raisins, cherries, cranberries and blueberries)

Pre-heat over to 300 degrees F. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Mix first 7 ingredients in large bowl.

Stir honey and oil in saucepan over medium-low heat until smooth. Pour honey mixture over oat mixture; toss. Spread on prepared sheet. Bake until golden, stirring every 10 minutes, about 40 minutes. Place sheet on rack. Stir granola; cool. Mix in fruit.

Can be made 1 week ahead. Store airtight.

Note, don't put the dried fruit in the oven....mix it in afterwards. If you put the fruit in the oven, it will become very hard and may break your teeth.

Thanks to Molly for such a wonderful recipe. Please check out Orangette if you have some time. Beautiful photos and interesting writing.

Comments

Popular Posts