I've got the Buttermilk Blues




Actually, I don't have the blues; these turned out pretty well.

After last week's Fluffy Yellow Cake, I had some leftover buttermilk. My "Cookie and Biscuit Bible" by Catherine Atkinson had a recipe entitled Buttermilk Cookies that I thought might be a good way to use it up. Although called "cookies", these were basically just biscuits. As is true for all biscuits, they are best if served warm with a bit of preserves or jam. When I first made them, we ate them fresh from the oven...but since there was no (healthy) way that Victor and I were going to eat 24 biscuits in one sitting, I threw the rest in the freezer. We have been taking them out here and there, warming them up in the toaster oven...and they taste just as good.

Buttermilk Cookies (Cookie and Biscuit Bible, p. 72)

1 1/2 cups of flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 tbsp cold unsalted butter
3/4 cup buttermilk

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees and grease baking sheet (I used Olive Oil spray).
Sift the dry ingredients into large bowl. Rub butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Gradually pour in buttermilk, stirring constantly with fork until mixture comes together and forms a soft dough. Roll out dough to about 1/2 inch thick, then stamp out rounds using a biscuit cutter (approx 2 inches but whatever size you want to make them). Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden. Serve warm or cool to room tempeture.

Comments

Popular Posts